We are now accepting letters of intent for the 2024 Strategic Research Grant: REM Sleep Behavior Disorder Research. This is a focused funding opportunity is open to projects that address research gaps in the management of rapid eye movement (REM) sleep behavior disorder that were identified in the 2023 published systematic review titled, Management of REM sleep behavior disorder: an American Academy of Sleep Medicine systematic review, meta-analysis, and GRADE assessment. Only applications that fit into one or more of these research domains and topic areas will be considered.
- Diagnosis of REM Sleep Behavior Disorder
Several factors contribute to diagnosing individuals with REM behavior disorder (RBD), and there is a need to improve diagnosis in clinical practice. Examples of research topics that fall under the improvement of diagnosing REM sleep behavior disorder include, but not limited to:
- Increasing recognition of RBD symptoms among clinicians, patients, and families.
- Models that increase access to sleep specialists that can appropriately diagnose RBD.
- Methods for assessing RBD severity.
- Treatments for REM Sleep Behavior Disorder
There is a need for well-designed studies that enhance the treatment of RBD and consider factors such as balance of benefits and harms, patient values and preferences, and resource use. Examples of research topics that fall under treatments for RBD include, but are not limited to:
- Clinical trials for new and standard treatments, including randomized placebo-controlled trials and comparative effectiveness trials.
- Clinical trials that focus on the following populations: women, racial subgroups, and other demographic subgroups.
- Development of RBD-modifying therapies.
Letters of intent are due October 23, 2023. For full information on eligibility and this funding opportunity, visit: https://foundation.aasm.org/strategic-research-award/