Transferring a grant requires coordination between your current institution and new institution. You must contact the AASM Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org to advise you on the exact steps you must take to transfer the grant; the general outline of these steps is below:
Step 1: Submit a formal request to transfer the grant and close out at current institution
To start the grant transfer process, the grant must first be closed at your current institution. The following information is needed to consider your transfer request:
- Formal request letter from the principal investigator to move the grant to the new institution. Briefly explain:
- If it will impact the original project in your proposal that was selected for funding (i.e. scope, timeline, resources)
- If there will be a change in the research team (i.e. key personnel)
- If the transfer will be budget neutral
- A statement from your current institution stating that they will relinquish the grant and are supportive of transferring it to the new institution
- Final report for the grant, including detailed expense report (see What information needs to be included in the final report? section above)
- Letters of support from mentors (for career development grants) and other key personnel that will remain the same
Concurrently, your new institution must provide the following:
- A signed Applicant Sponsoring Organization Page (see Who signs the Applicant Sponsoring Organization Page? section above)
- Revised Research & Related Budget Form (see Where can I find the template budget form? section above) to reflect the new institution and any change in key personnel
- Biosketches for new key personnel
The AASM Foundation will review these items and determine if the request to transfer the grant is approved.
Step 2: Close grant with your current institution
Once the AASM Foundation has approved the request to transfer the grant, any unused funds from your current institution need to be provided to the AASM Foundation. Upon receipt of the unused funds, the AASM Foundation will close the grant with the current institution and proceed with contracting the grant with your new institution.
Step 3: Contract grant with your new institution
The following is needed to contract the grant with your new institution:
- Contact information for your new grant administrator
- IRB approval/exemption or IACUC approval from your new institution
- W-9 form and electronic payment approval form from your new institution
The grant contract must be fully executed before starting your project at your new institution. Funds will be transferred from the AASM Foundation to your new institution.